Tuesday 27 August 2013

Inspiration & Soup.

Inspiration can come from just about anywhere.

Where does mine come from you ask?

My biggest inspiration is the woman who gave me life. My mother. 

Momma Rossi really knows her stuff. I always loved to watch her cook. She makes it look so easy and you can tell by watching her that she really loves it. She's taught me the fundamentals of cooking and is always good for a recipe or two. I have placed many a phone calls when things start going weird in the kitchen...she always knows how to fix it! Unless it's really bad and then let's be honest.. no one can fix it. Hey! It happens!

Another woman who inspires me is my Nona. Her lasagna is famous. Actually, all pasta dishes she makes are legendary. The woman knows her pasta. And the sauce... don't even get me started on the sauce.

My Nana is another lady on my list. She makes a mean potato soup and her pink pie is mandatory at all Holiday dinners.

The recipe I'll be sharing today is a combination of both my moms and my nanas' recipe for potato soup. It's a simple recipe, and is perfect for a cold night. . or a muggy, hot night in August.

I'll be sticking to the basics. Usually what I like to do is fry up some bacon to sprinkle on top and then sauté the veggies in the bacon fat... but today I'll be forgoing the bacon for a "lighter" take on this delicious soup. . Yeah right. The only reason I'm not using bacon is because I forgot to buy some.

Okay, here it is.

The Ingredients
(serves 4, or 2 very hungry people)

2 Russet Potatoes
2 Carrots
1 Leek
950ml Chicken Stock (store bought or home-made if you're feeling ambitious)
1/2 cup water (optional)
Olive Oil (or bacon fat!)
Salt & Pepper to taste


     the ingredients


my store bought stock of choice


How to:

Okay, first things first. You have to wash the leek. They tend to get quite dirty (you dirty leek) and the dirt gets trapped in the layers. The easiest way to wash them is to cut off the dark green stocks so that you're left with the light green and white base. Remove the end of the base and then slice the leek in half and then give it a good chop. Once chopped put all the bits into a bowl and give them a good rinse with some cold water. Let them hang out in there for a bit, and make sure that all the dirt gets rinsed off.



 

 

 

Once the leek is all cleaned up, add some oil (about 2 tablespoons) to a Dutch Oven or large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the leek and sauté until nice and soft - about 5 minutes. Add some salt & pepper. (I like to add a little bit of salt after adding each ingredient. I find that it helps build flavor.)



 


Meanwhile, dice up the potatoes and carrots and add them to the pot. Add a little bit more salt and give it a good stir.






Add the stock and 1/2 cup water (optional. depends on how thick/thin you like your soup) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and put a lid on it. Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until veggies are soft.





if you liked it then you should of put a lid on it...sorry.

Once soft, it's time to blend the ingredients together. This is where I like to bust out one of my FAVOURITE tools in the kitchen.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like you meet my Cuisinart immersion blender. This thing is a lean, mean, blending machine.



Not only does it come in handy for blending soups and sauces, it also comes with a WHISK attachment which is incredible for whipping up some egg whites or whatever your heart may desire. If you don't own one, I suggest you change that as soon as possible. It's a great investment. Cuisinart makes an excellent one, as well as Kitchen Aid.

Anyways, back to the soup.

Blend the ingredients together with your handy dandy immersion blender (or regular blender, potato masher, food mill, hands, whatever you got!)



 

Get it to the consistency that makes you happy. I prefer my soup to be a bit on the thicker side, but you may like it thinner! There isn't a right or wrong way to blend soup. Seriously, it's just soup.

Serve hot and if you have fun toppings feel free to add them. I like to add bacon, a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly ground pepper on top.

Fun fact: When I was a kid, my Nana would make us potato soup all the time... I would add about 5 packets of crackers and make my soup into this thick, stew like substance which sounds unusual, but tasted AWESOME.



mmm, soup.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment