Monday 9 September 2013

Not Quite Meatless Monday...


Happy Monday!

I hope everyone had a delightful weekend.

Here's a little snap shot from mine. Me and my pal Piper getting our self portrait on.  


    Let's just ignore the fact he looks terrified.



So, I love meat.
 
(insert dirty joke here.)
 
So it's difficult for me to go completely meatless on a Monday. And seriously, who picked MONDAY for a meatless day? Mondays have to be the worst day of the week. Why not make it meatless Wednesdays? Doesn't have the same ring to it I suppose.
 
I chose to make a Frittata today for dinner. It's quick & easy (like some people I know, ha-ha) and can be made with pretty much whatever you have in your fridge at the time, so no need to go grocery shopping! Unless of course, you don't have eggs. Then you'll have to go to the grocery store, sorry!
 
I made mine with asparagus, onions & prosciutto. Nothing special, but delicious all the same.
 
Here's a run down on the ingredients.
 
You'll need:
 
Eggs ( amount varies on how big of a frittata you want to make. I made a small one so I used 3 eggs. If you're making a medium frittata use 6-8 eggs and a large frittata will use up about 12 eggs.)
 
Oven safe skillet (NO PLASTIC)
 
Olive Oil or Butter.
 
Salt & Pepper
 
1/2 Onion
 
3 stocks asparagus (or more if you really love asparagus).
 
Prosciutto OR pancetta (I used 2 strips chopped up).
 
Parmesan Cheese
 
 
Get your oven pre-heated to 350 degrees.
 
Beat eggs in a medium bowl, add a splash of milk if you want. . . but only if you want to.
(I add milk.)
 

 
Heat up some oil or butter over medium heat and add onions.
 
 
 
Next, add in the asparagus and prosciutto.
 

 
Time to add in the eggs. Once added give it a quick stir just to settle everything in the pan. Don't fuss with it too much otherwise you'll wind up with scrambled eggs.
 

 
Let it cook on the stove top for about 5 minutes until it starts to firm up just a bit.
Add parmesan cheese on top (however much you want!) and then pop it into the oven.
 

 
Let it cook in the oven for about 15 minutes or so. It really depends on how big your frittata is. Obviously, a larger frittata will take longer than 15 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. It'll puff up a bit and start to brown.

This part is important... please make sure you wear an oven mitt when you take it out of the oven. Now I know you're probably thinking "wow, way to state the obvious Alanna", but I have burned myself a few times doing this because I just forget to put on a glove... might just be me though. None the less! Safety first everyone! It's one hell of a burn.



yum. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment