Thursday 5 September 2013

When life hands you lemons, make lemon poppy seed loaf.

So I found this recipe here (http://joannagoddard.blogspot.ca/) and immediately had to try it. I am a sucker for lemon poppy seed anything. Loaves, muffins, cakes.. anything. So I thought I'd give the homemade version a whirl. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the recipe is very simple. It doesn't require a ton of ingredients and I already had everything I needed in my pantry and fridge, except poppy seeds. Of course.
 
I made two loaves from one batch, which is super handy. You can freeze one (or realistically, eat it) and give the other one to someone you care about... or wanting to impress or suck up to. Just sayin'.


 
Here are the ingredients:
 
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest


For the glaze:

 1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
 
 
First things first...Your oven needs to be turned to 350 degrees.

Grease 2 loaf pans (I used 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" )
 

    nice pans.
 
Start by mixing the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds in a mixer and mix on low until just combined. JUST. It's just the dry ingredients, no need to go crazy.
 

 
 
In another bowl, combine milk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla and almond extract, and lemon zest.
 

 
 
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, SLOWLY, and mix until combined. Once combined crank that baby up to medium speed and beat for a minute.
 

 

 
Once mixed, pour into prepared loaf pans. If you want to be a stickler about equal amounts in each pan, by all means bust out a measuring cup and do your thing. I eye-balled it.


    look at that pour!
 
Pop the loaves into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out nice and clean. Side note: I discovered I don't own toothpicks. Weird right? So I couldn't do the toothpick trick. I gave mine a good poke  and jiggle (with clean hands) and when they bounced back and didn't jiggle so much, I knew they were done. So that works too.


    have fun in there you guys!
 
While the loaves are in the oven, prepare the glaze.
 
Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until you're ready to use it.
 

 
 
 
 
Brush the glaze onto the loaves the minute they get out of the oven. Now, it seems like an excessive amount of glaze, but trust me... it will harden up and soak into the loaves and become this amazing, awe inspiring crust of delicious-ness. You won't be sorry. I promise!


    fresh out of the oven!




 
     aww yeah...
 
Let cool for 20 minutes and then get down to business. Share with your friends and family... or eat the whole thing yourself. I won't judge.

 

Best served with a fresh cup of coffee.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment