Wednesday 25 September 2013

Weekend Away Chicken Pot Pie...

Well, it's been a couple weeks since my last posting! Whoops!

Here's a picture of Rudy to make up for it.


    That face!
 
This past weekend I was away for a few days visiting M. and while I was away, I decided to make Chicken Pot Pie. Why not!
 
I apologize for the lack of photos... some of the photos were taken on my phone and the other half were taken on M's fancy camera and I forgot to send them to myself to upload to the blog, SO I have to work with what I got, and what I got are mediocre cell phone pictures. Sorry! You'll have to just... visualize the rest.

I didn't really have a recipe, I sort of winged it. . . but I did have a "secret" weapon...
 

 
Yep. One can of PAM. Due to the lack of a rolling pin... I had to get creative. M. takes all the credit for this one. I thought all was lost until he came up with the brilliant idea to use a can of PAM. Who would have thought!
 
So here's what you'll need...
 
1 onion
2 carrots
1 cup frozen peas
3 red Skinned Potatoes
2 cups cooked chicken (cubed or shredded)
frozen Puff Pastry (or home made!) thawed out.
3 cups chicken stock/broth
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1/3 cup flour
2 tsp milk
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
 
First things first, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Then, melt the butter in a large pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onions and carrots until softened.

 
 
 
This will take about 8 - 10 minutes, which is a good time to roll out the pastry dough. You need it large enough to cover an 11" x 17"  pan. I recommend using an actual rolling pin... if you have one.


    Before...

 
   After...THANKS PAM!
 
Add potatoes, broth and dried thyme and bring to a boil. Cover the mixture and let simmer for 10 minutes.


 
    Don't worry, I got it covered.

While that simmers, whisk together flour and water until it forms a smooth paste.
 


 
 Slowly add the paste to the mixture while stirring. Cook until the mixture thickens, about a minute or so. Once thick, stir in peas, chicken and salt & pepper.



Spray (with the PAM!) an 11" x 17" pan and pour mixture into it.



 
Cover with the pastry, pressing it into the edges of the pan. Cut 4 slits in the crust for ventilation and lightly brush with milk.
 
Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until the crust is golden and puffy and the mixture is bubbly.
 
Now, be patient. Let it cool off for at least 10 minutes before you serve it. Do some dishes or something... you don't want to burn your mouth!
 
Enjoy!
 
Sorry I didn't have a finished product photo... it looked amazing though! Honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment